Monday, May 6, 2013

Chapter Three-Arrival

            "Wake up. We're not in a situation where you can have the leisure to sleep in till noon." Will said nudging me with his boot against my shoulders.
            "Could give me a chance to actually wake up." I groaned sitting up.
            "I'm sorry little princess but I'm not here to serve you." he replied.
            "It would kill you to be nice wouldn't it?" I sighed getting to my feet.
            "Of course. Kindness is like poison to my evil heart." he said sarcastically.
            If I wasn't sure that he would be able to deflect or even dodge a slap to the face I would have all ready done it by now. Will didn't even give me a chance to eat anything before we started walking. I was extremely happy that I had packed so much food because as soon as I woke up my stomach was all ready growling. I was pretty sure that my growling stomach was what had woken me up and not Will nudging me with his boot. Rather then going through the whole day starving I just ate while we walked. I was very hopefully that he was right about us arriving at our destination by tonight. Maybe they would have something more to eat than trail mix and fruit that was a little mushy. 
            Every step I took was like pins and needles were being stabbed all over my legs. My muscles were so heavy that every step my feet felt like they were dragging a little. I did everything I could to make sure I kept up with Will having a good feeling that he wouldn't be kind enough to slow down. I very much doubted he would be nice enough even to take an hour break. I had a feeling that if just fell over because my legs couldn't carry me any further he might just keep going or even just drag me by my feet. I've always considered myself fit but even a fit person would because tired and sore after walking on a changing terrain for a day. If I managed to make it all the way to our destination without falling over I would be impressed with myself. 
           As we walked I began thinking about why Will was such a hostile person. It seems like his personality was one that was meant to keep people at arms length. In a way he seems to want to make sure that no one could get close to him and that he doesn't ever want to care about another person. I began wondering what could have happened in his life that he became such a closed off person. From what I've observed so far if he was truly a bad person he wouldn't have bandaged my hand. He most definitely wouldn't be taking me to people who could get me home. A bad person would have just let Marcus kill me and not think twice about it. He definitely has a chip on his shoulder that was most likely the size of a boulder and weight twice as much. I eventually pushed it from my mind pretty sure that after tonight I wasn't going to being dealing with him much longer. I was sure that he was just going to dump me on his friends and go on his merry way forgetting all about me.
            Every so often my mind would drift to the fact that I've now been gone an entire day. I'm very sure my mom is on the verge of a heart attack not knowing where I was. The one thing my parents had always made sure I did was to communicate with them when I became more independent and wanted to do more things on my own. The fact that I didn't say anything to them since the one text message I had sent them before going out exploring was most likely raising red flags in their minds. I couldn't help but constantly checking my cell phone as we walked in hopes that I would get some reception. Maybe if I could at least call my mom and dad so they knew that I was at least still alive. I was worried that my phone's battery would die before I ever got a chance to give my parents word that I was okay. I was very tired and sore but I was okay.
            "So do you plan on being silent all day today as well?" I wondered.
            "What is there to talk about?" he asked.
           "Well you could always tell me why this Marcus guy wants to kill you so badly that he would kill someone for helping you." I pointed out.
            "Short answer to that is. It's none of your business." he snapped.
            "No need to bite my head off. Was just curious since now I have a target on my back because I stuck my neck out for a complete stranger who can't even be decent enough to say thank you." I stated.
            "I'm not going to say thank you because all you did was make things worse for me." he said.
           "So the fact that by helping you Marcus wants to kill me as well is making things worse for you? I'm in the middle of nowhere unsure of whether or not of when I'll get to see my parents again. As far as my parents might even know is that I got hurt while wandering the woods. They might even think I'm all ready dead." I said not realizing that I had said it all in one breath.
            I was startled when Will suddenly stopped in his tracks turning around to face me. He took a deep sigh rubbing his forehead with his left hand before saying anything. "Look I know that the situation you're stinks but riding me for a thank you isn't going to change it. Yes you saved my life but honestly I would rather  you hadn't helped because now you're in danger. My life is all ready complicated enough without having to worry about what happens to you. So if you don't mind please just keep walking and stop worrying about trying to make conversation."
            As he turned around to continue walking I found myself slightly stunned. That was probably the closest thing to something nice he's said since the moment I woke up yesterday. I was so stunned that when I finally realized that he was getting quite a bit a head of me I had to nearly run to catch up to him. Maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought he was. There could be a ray of light somewhere in the dark heart of his. Now the question is would he manage to not be an asshole during the rest of the time we were walking. My hopes weren't really that high.
            When the sun was getting closer to the horizon I began to get worried that we weren't going to reach our destination by the time Will said we would. I was not looking forward to a third day of walking if that turned out to be true. He could have just told me that we would get there by nightfall so that I would keep going. For all I knew there could probably be a weeks journey ahead of us. I don't think I've ever disliked someone so much that I've gone out of my way to help. So when he suddenly stopped in his tracks causing me to literally run in to him I wasn't sure what was going on.
            "Are we there?" I asked.
            He didn't answer me. Instead his entire body went tense and his eyes darted every which way. I looked around curious as to what he thinks was near by. Could Marcus have caught up to us all ready? Did Will see him near by? I could feel my heart begin to pound in my chest as I looked around in the growing shadows.
            "Will?"
            "When I tell you to run I need you to run as fast as you possibly can." he replied.
            "Why? What's out there?" I questioned.
            "Please stop asking questions and just do what I say." he pleaded.
            I quickly shut my mouth as I heard rustling coming from behind me. I slowly turned around my heart feeling like its pounding so hard against my chest that you could see the imprint of my heart against my ribs. Stepping out of the shrubs in to what light was left for the day was a creature that I've never seen even on the discovery channel. The thing had the body of a tiger and it was probably the same height as a horse. It's long thin tail had what at first looked like long thin fur but was actually needles at the very end. It's skin was covered in silvery green scales that rippled with each growl that escaped it's throat. The creatures short pointed ears was pressed down flat across it's head. It's cat like eyes were narrowed watching us closely as if it was waiting to see what we were about to do. Everyone of its paws had long thick claws that were digging deep in to the earth at its feet. I wasn't sure what this creature was but I was sure that it was fair from friendly.
         I was very sure that the creature could hear that my heart was on the verge of a heart attack. Everything had started out so peacefully just two days ago. Now here I was staring at a creature that looked like it could shred my chest with one swipe of a claw. Even better there was a man out there looking for Will and me to kill us. How has things gotten this bad? I jumped when the creature suddenly hissed at us opening its mouth. As soon as the creature opened its mouth two long thin curved fangs folded out like a snake. I had a suspicion that those fangs were lethal in more than one way.
            Out of nowhere Will grabbed me around my waist tossing me behind him. I stumbled a couple of steps before I managed to regain my balance. At this the creature though hissed again and I saw every muscle in the creatures body tense up.
            "Run!" Will shouted at me.
            He didn't have to tell me twice. I turned on my heels and began running as fast as my tired legs could possibly carry me. I wasn't even sure of which way I should be going but I just kept pumping my arms at my side trying to get as far from that creature as I possibly could. I tried to block out the sounds of the creature hissing and growling that was soon followed by crashing sounds coming from behind me. I kept running even when my lungs felt like they were ready to burst. I wasn't sure how far I had ran before I finally came to a stop placing a hand on a tree to keep me from falling over. My breathing rattled in my chest as I tried to calm my breathing down so that I didn't feel like I was possibly having an asthma attack. While I was catching my breath I began looking around just now thinking about the situation I was now in.
            I was now standing in the middle of nowhere without even the faintest idea of which way civilian was. Even better was the fact that I had just taken Will at his word to run from that creature. What if that thing had killed him in the very second I had turned to run? That creature could be only seconds behind me looking for a second entree. I could feel my heart tighten a little though when I thought about the fact that Will had just pretty much sacrificed himself so that I could get away. For as much of an ass as he has been this entire time he didn't deserve to be that creatures meal. I groaned to myself a little as I felt my better nature get the better of me. I began to run back the way I had come in hopes that I would actually find that Will was all right. It was easy to see which way I had come from since I pretty much had barreled through the forest leaving a very obvious trail.
            As I was walking I was keenly aware of how silent everything had gotten. I couldn't even hear birds singing or the squirrels chattering with each other. The only time I've ever heard silence like this in a forest was when there was a predator near by. The forest goes silent as if the smaller creatures were praying that they weren't found. At this point I was praying along with them that I wasn't found by the predator either. I wasn't sure what I was going to do when I found Will but I knew that I had to do something. My dad did tell me several times that my kind heart would get me to trouble one day. This definitely qualifies as that day.
          I stopped in my tracks when I finally reached the where I had left Will. The area around me was completely torn up. There were gashes in the trees with long chunks missing from the bark. In certain places the earth had been blasted apart leaving craters in the ground. There were even places in the branches of the trees where branches had been broken off leaving gaping holes. Looking around I couldn't see any sign of Will anywhere. The patches of dark liquid splashed here and there didn't look like it was blood so I was assuming that Will was out there. If that liquid was the creatures blood I couldn't help but wonder how Will had done so much damage to the creature. If my memory was correct when I had began running all will had were his pants and boots. From what I could tell he didn't have any kind of weapon on him to fight with or even defend himself. How could a single person fight back without a way to defend themselves?
            My body stiffened when I heard the snapping of twigs from behind me closely followed by a hissing sound. I slowly turned around to find that creature standing on a few feet from me. I could see deep gashes all along the creatures side that was still dripping blood. Even one of the creatures eyes were shut because of the wound running across. It was very clear that this thing was royally pissed off and it was looking for something to take its anger out on. Unfortunately for me it has decided to make me to target of its rage.
           It watched me for several minutes as its tail twitched from side to side. It seemed like the creature was trying to decide if I was worth the trouble. Sure enough though it decided that I was going to be worth the trouble after all. In a single fluid motion it tensed every muscle in its body before leaping towards me. I felt my heart skip a beat as I watched the creature fly through the air towards me. I managed to snap out of it just in time to throw myself out of the way. I rolled a couple of times before coming to a stop scrambling back to my feet. The creature didn't even blink before it turned to come after me again. I quickly picked up the nearest branch that I felt like would make a good weapon. As the creature came toward me mouth open showing both long fangs. I slowly backed away trying to put distance between me and the creature. One bite or slash of those claws I was in very deep trouble.
            The creature made tiny leaps towards me swipe at the air in front of me. I kept backing further and further away trying to figure out what I was going to do. When my back hit a near by tree I felt my stomach drop about ten feet as I realized I had been backed in to a corner. Seeing this the creature became quite excited it's tail moving around some much it sent dirt flying every which way. My body was shaking so hard from fear that I was having a hard time keeping my grip on the tree branch in my hands. I really need to learn to listen to Will in the future when he tells me something if I survive this time.
           In that moment I felt something in me come together. I had to survive. I had to get home to my parents in one piece so they know that I'm all right. I needed to get back to them so that I can hold them and feel their comfort. I gripped the tree branch tighter in my hands ready for this thing to try and attack me. I didn't have to wait long before it finally tried to come at me. It bared its fangs out at me trying to bite in to my side saliva dripping from it's fangs. Without fully thinking it through I swung the tree branch with every ounce of strength I had. I hit the creature square in the jaw so hard that the branch actually snapped in two. The creature stumbled a few steps clearly dazed seeing stars. I took that moment to get out of the corner I had gotten myself in. Just as I was darting around the creature it managed to get some of its senses back enough to swipe at my legs with its claws.
            I cried out in pain as I felt each of its claws slash through my right leg. I tumbled to the ground my ankle twisting slightly as I fell. Sheering pain spread through my leg as I felt warm blood began to spill out of the open wound. Looking down at my leg there were three open gashes along my calf that I could see the muscle from. There were pieces of flesh hanging limply blood dripping from them. I was definitely not going to be running for my life any time soon. The creature was all ready watching me trying to decide if I would hurt it again or if it could come in for the killing blow. If I saw Will again I'm going to punch him in the gut. Things just keep getting worse and worse all because I want to help him.
            The creature let out a final hiss as it bounded toward me. I wanted to close my eyes so badly so that I didn't have to watch as the creature killed me. I just couldn't help but keep my eyes open as the creature got closer and closer to me. I wanted to cry and scream at the same time because things like this shouldn't be happening to someone like me. I only ever try to be a good person and make my parents proud of me. I wasn't going to get to see my parents ever again and my parents won't ever know what happened to me.
            All of the sudden the creature stopped in its tracks. Both its eyes were open wide while it's mouth hung open as if it was surprised. I wasn't sure why it had stopped until out of nowhere blood sprayed out of the creatures throat. It staggered a few steps before falling over on to its side. What the hell had happened? The creature was clearly dead now and I wasn't going to be killed by it. It took me a moment when I realized that I wasn't alone any more. Standing over me was a man maybe the same age as Will. His long blond hair was tied back loosely with what looked like a leather cord. He had very fair skin with light hazel eyes that had flecks of brown in them. I felt my breath catch in my throat thrown away by how handsome he was. It took me a second to realize that he was holding two long daggers that were dripping in the blood from the creature. Had he just saved me?
            "This is going to hurt but I need to wrap your leg." he said.
            "O-okay."
            He then pulled off his leather vest that he wore before taking off the white cloth shirt. He quickly wrapped the shirt around my leg using the sleeves to tie it as tightly as possible. I let out a hiss of pain when he tied it. I could all ready feel myself getting light headed from all the blood I was losing. I was feeling so light headed that I was having a hard time forming a thought enough to wonder how he had moved so fast.
           "You must be Will's friend Riley." he smiled.
           "You know Will? Is he okay?" I wondered.
        "Yes, we've been friends for a very long time. Was surprised to see how worried he was when he arrived. He assumed you would get to town before him since he told you run ahead." he pointed out.
         "So he's all right then?" I asked.
         "Of course. He's like a cockroach. He can survive anything." he smirked.
         "Good, cause when I see him I'm socking him in the gut." I muttered.
         I saw his eyebrows knit together with worry as his hand darted out catching me as I feel backwards. I was beginning to see little black dots dancing all over my vision. The world seemed to be tilting slightly as I felt a chill begin to spread through my leg. The last thing I remember before everything went black was the man lifting me off the ground. Maybe he hadn't gotten there in time after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment