Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chapter Fourteen-Midnight Sun

         I rushed down the stairs trying to not to trip as I went down. Several people glanced over at me as I ran through the inn wondering why I was in such a hurry. I could hear the man behind the bar yelling at me to stay inside but I ignored him. All I knew was that Cloud was in danger right now and I had to do something to help him. Bursting out on to the street I looked around trying to find out where the Shadow Vine and Cloud had gone to. I couldn't see them but I managed to make out the sounds of their fighting coming from my left. I began running towards the sounds hearing things crashing as they moved around. 
         The only light that I was able to see by was the moon light. The shadows that were cast by the buildings were long making the town seem like it was nothing but darkness. Rounding a corner I managed to find Cloud and the Shadow Vine circling each other. The Shadow Vine was definitely in the shape of a wolf like the man at the inn had said it would be. What was fascinating about it was that you could see that it's body was actually vines very closely intertwined to each other to create the shape of a wolf. Where the eyes of the wolf should be there was nothing but darkness. It's eyes were just two black pits that made me feel a chill go through my bones looking at it. I noticed that the claws on the paws of the Shadow Vine were actually thorns that were growing all over the Shadow Vines body. I felt my heart skin though I saw the cuts all over Cloud's body from fighting the Shadow Vine so far. I had to do something before the Shadow Vine killed Cloud.
         I immediately created fireballs in each of my hands quickly hurtling it towards the Shadow Vine. One fireball smashed in to the Shadow Vines hind quarters while the second hit it in to the side of its face. The Shadow Vine jerked around snarling at me in anger. Where the fireballs had hit I saw that the vines had actually been burned falling away to the ground. The spots I hit were quickly mended though because within seconds the vines were moving to close up the gaps I had created. As soon as the wounds on the Shadow Vines body were closed up vines shot out from its body streaking across the distance towards me. I quickly threw myself out of the way rolling back to my feet only have to dodge all over again. Each place I had been the earth was torn up with dirt flying all over the place. I was so focused now on making sure that I wasn't hit with one of those vines that I wasn't watching Cloud any more.
         The Shadow Vine only stopped attacking me when Cloud barreled his entire body against it. The Shadow Vine went flying rolling across the ground several times before coming to a stop. At that point it was clear that this thing was completely pissed off. Cloud reared up swinging is wings several times creating mini tornadoes that spun toward the Shadow Vine. While the Shadow Vine was busy with avoiding the tornadoes I threw even more fireballs at it hoping to slow it down enough to be hit with one of those tornadoes. Sure enough it wasn't able to dodge the last tornado in time. 
         I watched as the Shadow Vine was sucked up in to the tornado. The force of the moving air caused the Shadow Vine to lose it's shape. The tornado now looked like a swirling mass of dark vines and thorns that seemed more dangerous than the tornado was before. When the tornado was finally slowing down the Shadow Vine was thrown all over the place. Vines littered the area around Cloud and I as we waited to see what would happen next. I gasped when I saw the Shadow Vine began dissolving in to the shadows around it. Within in seconds there wasn't a single trace of the Shadow Vine left. I remembered instantly something that the man at the inn had told me. That this thing could move among the shadows which is where it hid during the day. At this moment Cloud and I have no idea where this thing was and it could pop up at any given moment. I could see why the towns people haven't been able to kill this thing after so long. It can repair it's self when it's damaged along with hiding out where people can't get to it. I really wish that we had just kept moving along instead of stopping in this town.
         I cried in surprise when out of nowhere Cloud takes a hold me with his tail throwing me off to the side. As I hit the ground I saw out of the corner of my eyes the vines shooting up from the shadows. The wind was knocked out of me as I hit the ground. Rolling over I saw the Shadow Vine had completely wrapped around Cloud. I could see Cloud trying to break free of the Shadow Vine that was steadily tightening its self more and more around Cloud. I could feel panic rising in my chest watching as my friend was being killed before my eyes. I began throwing fireball after fireball at the Shadow vine hoping that I could annoying it enough that it would let Cloud go. Each time I hit the Shadow Vine it would just repair its self and then just latched another vine around Cloud. If I didn't think of something better soon this thing was going to kill Cloud and I'll be very much alone in this world.
         I was frantically looking around trying to come up with a way to get this thing off Cloud. It was then that I noticed that it was avoiding being hit by the moon light. Each time it got anywhere near the light it would cringe back. Could light be more damaging to it than the people of this town even realize. Well this would be the time for me to figure out what I can do.
         I held my hands about six inches apart in front of me and created a concentrated ball of fire. Once I had the fire going I forced all my focus on making it as hot as the sun it's self. Maybe if I'm able to create actual sun light I could kill the Shadow Vine. The fire in my hands steadily became brighter and the heat that was coming off the fire was starting to become painful. I was pretty sure that at this rate I was going to burn my hands but I would rather burn my hand so I can save Cloud. I began expanding my hands so that I could make the small sun in my hands all the bigger. When my hands were spread out as far as possible on either side of me I began to see the Shadow Vine cringing in the light. Seeing that made me believe that what I was doing was the right move. 
         With one last cry I threw the small sun up in to the air as high as I possibly could. When the small sun I had created was up as high as possible I threw forth one a single burst of power. When that burst of power hit the sun I had created the sun exploded shining sun light in to every corner of the town. Suddenly the air was filled with a high pitched shrieking that forced me to cover my ears. Looking out in front of me at Cloud I saw the Shadow Vine releasing him. In fact it looked like it was rotting away like a weed hit with weed killer. Each part of the Shadow Vine fell away swiveling up till the vines were nothing but dried up pieces. I felt my jaw drop when a huge clump of vines moved aside to reveal a beating heart. Before I had a chance to really examine it further Cloud's tail came done on top of it with so much force that he sent pieces of the heart flying all over the place. 
         I sighed with relief knowing that Cloud was going to be all right. I rushed over to his side looking over him to make sure that he didn't have any serious injuries. A side from all the cuts on his body from the thorns on the Shadow Vine the only real serious injury he has was on his wing. From what I could tell some of the bones were broken due to the Shadow Vine squeezing him so tightly. He wasn't going to be flying any time soon but at least he was going to live. 
        I felt Cloud gently nuzzle my hands noticing that there were burns on them from creating that small sun. I gave him a small smile knowing that I very much needed to bandage up my hands as soon as possible. I gasped when out of now where Cloud spat on both of my hands. I was very much disgusted but that soon passed when I looked closer at my hands. The burns on my hands were rapidly healing. It reminded me of the healer back in Liam's home town. Apparently Cloud has more tricks up his sleeve than I knew about. In minutes my hands looked like they were sooth like a baby's bottom. I gently hugged Cloud around his neck unsure of how else to thank him for healing my hands. 
         I jumped ten feet in the air when out of nowhere there was a sudden roar of cheers rang out around me. Suddenly people came poring out of their homes surround Cloud and me. There were so many happy faces around me that I wasn't sure who I should look at. There was such a sense of relief coming from the crowd that they were finally free of the torment the Shadow Vine had created. There were even a few crying tears of joy. Stepping out from the crowd was the man that I had spoken to at the inn. 
         "We can't thank you enough for getting rid of that thing." he said.
         "There's no need to. It's just nice to know that I was of some use to someone." I replied. 
         "At the very least allow us to help in mending this creatures wing. It needs to put in to a sling so it can heal properly." he pointed out.
         "Thank you."
         Several women came forward carrying strips of bandages as well as small wooden pieces to brace the wing. Cloud winced as he laid his wing down to allow them to bandage up his wing. The women seemed hesitant at first getting near Cloud worried that he might hurt them. Cloud just sat calmly allowing them to see that he wasn't a danger to them.
         "What is your name? So that when people ask us who killed the Shadow Vine we'll know what to tell them." the man asked.
         "It's Willa." I answered giving him a fake name. 
         "Well Willa thank you for saving our town from that monster." he smiled.
         I just smiled at him thankful that I was able to come up with a name on the spot. It was better if none of them knew my real name in case Charlie's minions came looking for me. If they showed up in this town the people would be safe because they would have never heard of someone named Riley. I was even more thankfully knowing that I was not only able to protect Cloud but I was able to save his life when he needed me the most. It was nice knowing that I was capable of protecting those that I care about now. Maybe if I got home and Charlie decided to send people after me I'll be able to protect my family. I very much doubt I'll ever become strong enough to fight Charlie himself but at least I could do something if he threatens the people I care about again. I refuse to let Charlie ever hurt me or any of the ones that I hold most dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment