Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chapter Fifteen-New Life

         Over the next couple of days the town's people got to work on rebuilding their town. Now that they didn't have the fear of the Shadow Vine looming over their heads they were able to live again. The town was ready to start over without the reminder of all the suffering that the Shadow Vine had caused. I helped out where I could with repairing buildings or even in planting new gardens for fresh grown food. Even Cloud helped out with the heavy lifting for rebuilding people's homes. These people have a chance to rebuild their lives and I was more than happy to help them out especially since the most recent damage was caused by me. Throwing around the fireballs had left some fire damage around town so it was only fitting I needed to help with the repairs.
         No one really tried to ask me to many questions about who I was or where I came from. I liked it like that way because it meant that they would less likely find out about where I was from. Every so often they would ask me little questions like what kinds of foods I enjoy eating or about the kinds of things I've fought before. I would just smile and answer their questions as much as possible without giving away who I really was. As far as everyone was concerned though I was the person that saved them. To them they had no reason to worry about me or to even miss trust me. I was really hoping that I could keep it that way till Cloud and I left.
         Thankfully it looked like Cloud's wing was healing quickly. In a matter of days he was able to move his wing without wincing in pain. After a week the bandages were able to come right off. He wasn't able to fly just yet but at least his wing was healing properly. As much as I hated seeing that his wing was hurt but I would rather he be healing than being killed. Even the cuts that had been all over his body had closed up and fresh scales were starting grow. From what I could tell he should be fully healed in another week or so. Once Cloud was all healed we could leave hopefully before any of Charlie's minions could show up.
         Cloud and I had just finished with helping one of the families rebuild their house. We were on our way to the inn where we had been staying. My stomach was growling loudly after the hard work we'd done. I could hear Cloud's stomach growling as well. Behind the inn there was stables that the inn keeper had been allowing Cloud to sleep in so that he wouldn't have to sleep outside. The inn keeper had also been making sure to leave a fresh bucket of meat for Cloud each night. By now everyone in town knew that Cloud wasn't a danger to them. Cloud has even played with some of the children and none of the parents think twice about it. I was glad that the people in town were being so nice to Cloud.
         I made sure to walk Cloud all the way to the stables where he curled up on a large pile of hay. Sure enough there was a rather large bucket of raw meat waiting for him. Cloud quickly began chowing down eager to eat. I left to eat his meal while I went inside to get something to eat myself. Inside the place looked completely different from when I had first arrived in town. This time the room was brightly light with candles and a roaring fire in the center of room inside of an iron pit. Even the people were brighter and actually laughing as they enjoying each other's company. I sat down at one of the tables with the towns people wondering what they were talking about. Within minutes of sitting down the inn keeper, Mato, had brought me a plate of food.
         "Did you hear the Rebels broke in to one of Charlie Macour's fortress' and stole quite a few of his top rate weapons." someone said.
         "I even heard that someone among the rebels managed to completely reduce the fortress to nothing but rubble." another person commented.
         "Who are the Rebels?" I wondered.
         "You could say that they are the one's who aren't afraid of fighting back against Charlie Macour. How do you not know that?" the person on my left asked.
         "I guess it slipped my life." I laughed nervously.
         "Does any one know who it was that toppled the fortress?" someone wondered.
         "Heard it was that Will kid who did it. That boy has some serious anger issues." Mato commented.
         "Any idea where I could find the Rebels?" I asked feeling excitement rising in my chest.
         "Not too sure especially since they keep moving around all the time. No one really knows where they call home is." Mato replied.
         I sighed wishing that there had been even some clue as to where to find the Rebels. Maybe if I could some how find my way back to Will and Liam they could help me with getting back home. Having me get out of this world as soon as possible might be in their best interest. Especially with Will possibly being part of the Rebels it would make sense he would want to keep me from Charlie. Charlie had made it clear that he wanted me to open portals between this world and mine. I wasn't sure for what reason he wanted me to open portals to my world for him but I very much doubted it was for anything good.
         "Is there a way to even contact the Rebels?" I questioned.
         "Not too sure." someone shrugged at the table.
         "I've heard there was someone in the village of Karmus that has contacts in the Rebels." Mato answered.
         "How far away is Karmus from here?" I asked.
         "It's about three leagues north of here but why would you want to contact the Rebels?" Mato wondered.
         "A friend of mine has become entangled with them and I wanted to get them out before they got in too much trouble." I lied.
         "Well the sooner you get your friends away from those Rebels the better. Everyone that gets tangled with them either ends up dead or lose quite a lot of people they care about." Mato agreed.
         I eventually excused myself from the table to get some sleep before another day of helping rebuild the town. The moment Cloud's wing was fully healed the two of us were going to make our way to Karmus. I needed to find the Rebels as soon as possible. I had a better chance of getting home if I was with the Rebels and it would give me a better chance of staying away from Charlie. I was out cold almost instantly when my head hit the pillow. Doing so much work in rebuilding the town tends to wear out the body pretty quickly. The whole time I was asleep I kept finding myself dreaming about Will and Liam. When I finally woke the next morning I was pretty sure the my subconscious was trying to tell me I was eager to make my way towards Karmus.
         When I rolled out of bed I could hear cheering come down stairs. Walking downstairs I found people hugging and laughing as they seemed to be dancing with each other. I managed to stop Mato to find out what was going on. In one breath he told me that a woman had given birth to a baby in the middle of the night. He even said that if it weren't for me killing the Shadow Vine that baby might not have survived or even lived long. I quickly grabbed a loaf of bread before running out the front door eager to see the new baby that had been born in the middle of the night.
         A lot of the towns people had told me how they feared having children during the time the Shadow Vine was terrorizing them. They were all afraid that even the young children around town would think it a good idea to go outside at night. Everyone of them were worried that their child could be taken away from them at many moment. Now the parents were able to allow their children to run around town without worry that there was something hiding in the darkness. I was even more happy that I had gotten rid of the Shadow Vine only a couple of weeks ago.
         I had to bob and weave my way through the crowd of people celebrating the new life that had been born in the middle of the night. I eventually got to the house where the new baby had been born. The house was decorated in tiny pink flowers that when asked I learned was to signify that a baby girl had been born in that home. Inside the house was crowded with people eager to see the new baby. As soon as people noticed me walk in through the front door I was pushed to the front where the mother sat on her bed. In the mother's arms was a tiny baby wrapped in a delicate white blanket. The baby didn't have very much hair on her head but like her mother it was a very light brown. The baby's fair skin didn't have any blemishes on it save for the single strawberry red mark under the left side of her jaw. She was so tiny it was hard to believe that she had a strong heart beating in her chest.
         "I'm glad you came." the mother said.
         "What's her name?" I wondered.
         "Willa Rose."
         "Why name her after me?" I asked.
         "Because I want her to have a name that belongs to a strong woman. Hopefully she'll grow up to be as strong as you." she answered.
         "I don't think I'm that strong." I muttered.
         "I don't know too many that would be brave enough to stand their ground against a Shadow Vine. You did everything to save your friend not giving up. I want my child to become a person like that. Someone who won't turn their back on those who are in need." she explained.
         "I'm honored to hear that you've named your child after me then." I smiled.
         The woman gave me a warm smile before she began singing a song to her baby. She gently began rocking her baby back in forth her voice sounding like warm comforting blanket. I sat there missing my own mother and the way she could comfort me with just a simple embrace of her arms. It was nice though to see that even though this town has nothing but tragedy for the past year they are able to celebrate new life. It was definitely a very simple yet powerful reminder that even though things may be happening in the world that are terrible miracles like this were happening every day. Every day there was a new life being born in to this world and my own.
         When I finally left the woman's house I was started when I quick shadow streaked across the ground in front of me. Looking around I couldn't see anything that would cause something like that. It took me a minute to notice the people around were looking up in to the sky. When I finally looked up I felt an enormous smile spread across my face. Shoring through the sky was Cloud wings spread out wide on either side. I could feel my heart swell with happiness seeing that he was able to fly again. This meant two things for us. One that his wing had finally finished healing and two it means that it's time for us to head out. We couldn't really afford to spend too much more time in this town. Who knows how close Lucia and Charlie could be to finding me again.
          When I got back to the inn I went up to my room packing up all my things. I knew people wouldn't be happy about me leaving but I needed to get moving as soon as possible. I was very grateful for these people taking care of me while I was here. They had given me clean clothing and even a dagger to wear at my side to defend myself with. Even Mato had given me all my meals for free. It was best if I was far away from this town when Charlie came looking. They were more likely to be safer with me long gone.
         Down stairs I went to find Mato behind the bar in the kitchen getting some fresh stew cooking for the people that were staying at the inn. When he saw me walk in with my pack on my shoulder he looked at with a raised eyebrow. He placed a cover over the massive pot before giving me his full attention.
         "I'm assuming you moving on?" he said.
         "Now that Cloud is fully healed we need to get moving." I nodded my head.
         "Any chance I can talk you in to stay longer?" he wondered.
         "I'm sorry but I need to get to Karmus as soon as possible." I told him.
         "Well here take some food with you since it's going to be quite a journey till you get there." he sighed.
         He quickly wrapped up some bread for me along with some meat he had dried out turning it in jerky. I thanked him grateful that not only he was giving me food but he wasn't pushing for any more answers. No one in this town needs to know the real reason I'm wanting to go to Karmus and get in touch with the Rebels.
         Mato made sure to let me know which way I needed to go to get to Karmus as we walked out of the inn. As I was making my way through town several people walked along side of me. Each person asked very much the same questions as Mato had. I answered them all in pretty much the same way so that it was general information that wasn't too close to the truth. I was eager to get as far as possible today. Each morning I woke up worried that I would find Lucia or Charlie standing over me. I needed to put as much distance as I could now from this town not only for my safety but for the people in this town.
         When I got to the edge of town Cloud flew over my head. I knew that he would eventually catch up to me. Even while we were helping with the repairs of the town he wasn't too far away from me. At this point he has probably realized I tend to get myself in trouble and wants to keep a close eye on me. Cloud gradually came back to the ground to travel beside me as I turned around to wave at the towns people. There was a huge crowd of people waving back at me. I wished that I could just stay with them but I needed to find the best chance I have of getting home. So I turned around and began my walk towards Karmus where I can hopefully find this woman that can get in touch with the Rebels. This at the moment was my new life and I was just going to have to do my best till I made it home.
       
         

No comments:

Post a Comment